Proving people will read about and discuss just about anything football-related (guilty as charged), a couple of new ďlistsĒ have been released this week: †the top 20 football players USC will face (subscription required, thanks again The State) and the top 20 players on USC and CTU combined (which weíll get deeper into a little later).
In that spirit, I was trying to think of another nonsensical, useless list that might be fun for discussion.† So I came up with†”Ranking the 2011 Gamecock Opponents by Mascot Ferocity”. †Here we go, starting with the least ferocious:
- 10, 9 and 8 – Bulldogs (Georgia, Mississippi State, The Citadel) Ė the most overrated mascot in the history of athletics.† Bulldogs are fat, slow, and judging by how many UGAs have bitten the dust recently, as fragile as a late-fall oak leaf.† Not nearly as ferocious as legend would have it, either.† Carry a 5-lb. bag of ice around with you and theyíll apparently be your friends for life.
- 7 – Commodores (Vanderbilt) Ė A little fruity if you ask me.† Neatly dressed, funny hat, sheathed swordÖdoesnít really seem prepared to battle.† Looks more like an outfit for a gay (not that thereís anything wrong with that) costume party.† Even so, a swift kick from that patent leather boot will put a bulldog in its grave. ††††
- 6 – Volunteers (Tennessee) Ė Strikes me as a bit of a hillbilly redneck Commodore.† You ever shot a musket?† Not exactly high-tech or particularly effective.† And Iím still not sure what theyíre volunteering for.† I can just see those beady eyes peering beneath a coonskin cap, ďHe shore got a purdy mouth, donít he?Ē
- 5 – Tigers (CTU) Ė fierce, scary animals to be sure, but they lose points because theyíre trite and oh so boring.† CTU loses a spot because their secondary color is purple.† Still not sure who thought that was a good idea.
- 4 – Tigers (Auburn) Ė Navy Blue > Purple
- 3 – Wildcat (Kentucky) Ė Another overused mascot name, but a good one nonetheless.† Anything with ďWildĒ in it is cool.† Houston Nutt†thought it was so cool he named an offensive formation after it, even though he was coaching the Razorbacks. ††
- 2 – Razorbacks†(Arkansas) Ė now weíre talking.† These are mean, smelly, nasty, unintelligent animals with no regard for their own well-being.† Kind of like Ed Orgeron if he was not human (provided he is human).† Points for originality and the fact their fan base doesnít mind being called ďíHogsĒ.†
- 1 – Midshipmen (Navy) Ė SEAL Team Six.† Enough said.
- Back to the Post & Courier ranking of the best players at USC and Clemson Ė Tajh Boyd at number seven?† Really? †And seven spots ahead of Stephen Garcia?† Thatís a good way to lose credibility in a hurry.† Other surprises Ė any freshman on the list, and Bruce Ellington, who hasnít put on the pads for almost two years.
- After a third loss in four SEC games for USC on Friday night, I have to admit I was thought it was the beginning of the end for 2011 USC baseball.† Too many injuries and not enough starting pitching would be our downfall.† But lo and behold, Scott Wingo gave us another highlight-reel moment with a walk-off solo homer on Saturday.† The confidence carried over to Sunday in spanking†arguably the best team in the SEC West.† Itís getting hard to doubt this Gamecock baseball team.
- The Darren Horn to Murray State rumors cracked me up, but Iím not exactly sure why Ė that he might actually entertain that move, or the fact that I woudnít be that bothered by it. †Either way, it shows what a steaming pile our program has become.
- The TV series Friday Night Lights is drawing to a close, and if youíre a football fan and a TV fan and youíre not watching it, youíre missing out.† Do yourself a favor and catch up at Hulu or get your hands on the DVDís.† (Side note:† I chased down Coach Taylorís wife on a New York City street a few years ago to tell her how much I appreciated
her assetsthe show.)
- Finally, here is an exclusive video clip of a confrontation between Eric Hyman and Stephen Garcia.† Enjoy.† ††††††