Last year we did an audio review of every Gamecock football season since 1987. Due to popular demand, we will be re-running the series this summer leading up to kickoff against Texas A&M on August 28.
The 2006 season was another early building block in the Steve Spurrier era – flashes of brilliance intertwined with flashes of mediocrity and flashes of awful. Our experiences from that season included:
- A season-opening 15-0 victory over Mississippi State that was slow and painful until the fourth quarter when Syvelle Newton teamed with Cory Boyd to put the game away(back like cook cracked anyone?)
- A shutout loss to Georgia followed by a close win over…ugh…Wofford.
- A 17-24 victory over Auburn…oh, wait, we didn’t win that game, we just acted like we did. Cue moral victory speech from the HBC.
- Spurrier putting a profusely sweating Ron Cooper on the spot with the media after his “prevent” defense almost got us beat at Kentucky. (Sweet trick play tho.)
- A brutal 17-16 loss at eventual national champion Florida where we had both an extra point and a potential game-winning field goal blocked.
- This run by Cory Boyd.
- A hard-fought win at Little Death Valley, and a season-ending bowl victory over offensive juggernaut Houston.
Hear all the gory details on this edition of Buckshots.
Click here or click the graphic to listen, and enjoy!